Of the many things important to people in Oregon, a major one is water. DEQ plays a major role in protecting water quality of lakes, rivers and streams to ensure they can support aquatic plants and animals.
Lauren and Dylan talk to DEQ’s Water Quality Administrator about the state of Oregon’s water as well as the staff working on improving it.
The voices in the episode are:
- Jennifer Wigal, water quality administrator.
- Lesley Merrick, water quality assessment program lead.
- Andrea Matzke, lower Willamette Basin coordinator.
- Ryan Michie, water quality analyst.
Listen to the podcast on: SoundCloud, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts.
- • Overview with Jennifer Wigal, DEQ Water Quality Administrator [1:20]
- What DEQ’s Water Quality Program does [1:40]
- Water quality at streams near you (Integrated Report web map) [5:15]
- DEQ’s Integrated Report [6:45]
- Clean Water Act – 305b (Integrated Report) and 303d (impaired waters) [9:20]
- What is 303d? [10:50]
- Total Maximum Daily Load
- Improving waters [11:45]
- Columbia Slough water improvements [12:00]
- City of Portland and the big pipe [15:00]
- Walla Walla sub-basin in Milton Freewater [17:50]
- Jennifer Wigal on the future of water quality [23:20]
- Wrap-up [27:00]